Monday, March 31, 2008

Taper Time!

Who is excited for the taper?

Stef and I did our last 20 this past Saturday and it went very well...we ran 7 miles to the start of the DC marathon, then did 10 miles in the race which was great for drinking water/gatorade, and then we veered off course to do the last 3 miles back toward our houses. We were planning on ending at the Memorial Bridge on the Virginia side, and we were literally 100 m from the end of the bridge, when Stef went down....just tripped! She tore up her hands a little bit, but she was ok....talk about ironic! Only a few more steps to go! We walked to the metro from there and took that back the last mile. Thank god for that Metro. And I actually kind of hurt my hip toward the end of the run...I think I strained it a little bit somehow. I took yesterday off and it's feeling much better today and I got new running shoes (gotta break them in before the race!) so I think that will help too.

Did everyone get their race info? My mom called me the other day all excited cause I had it sent to my parents house....she was like, "You got somethin about the marathon!" She checked and I'm in the first wave...I think I'm like 12,000 something. Did you guys get your packets?

I must say I'm pretty excited about the taper! All the really hard work is behind us...now we just need to do our runs, not do anything crazy, and stay healthy :)

Caputo

4 comments:

Nodine said...

I'm the only one in the second wave. Boo! My number is 14314, so I am the first corral in the second wave. I have a feeling that doesn't mean I actually start half an hour after you guys, because it will take a while for you to get to the starting line...anyway, it's okay. Jenn, what number are you? Can we try to meet up after the race? Is there any good landmark that might work?

Good job on your last long run, Caput! Smart to jump in with the marathon....being in a race makes it go by quicker. And I am glad Stef is okay. Mine went well too....hilly and hard but I felt strong. Yesterday in my run I was still feeling the tiredness in my legs but that's what tapering is for I guess. Hooray, tapering! I am excited for Boston.

Caputo said...

Yay Mary! I'm glad your long run went well too! You're going to be a monster on heartbreak. That's too bad you're in the second wave, but it won't matter much since you're in the first corral. Ain't no thang! We should definitely meet up afterwards. They have the buses all lined up along Boylston with our gear that we dropped off at the starting line in Hopkinton so we could always pick a bus to meet at...like the last one or something....make it easy. What are you doing that night? I know some people that are probably going out to a bar on Boylston....we should all get together. :)

j2 said...

hey guys!
i don't remember my specific number but i'm pretty sure i'm in the first wave as well.
mary, don't fret....just look at it as an opportunity to pass all the slow people in wave 1!
re: meeting up afterwards....it's usually pure chaos but we should just pick a street corner or bus number beforehand.
you guys are obviously going to the expo that weekend, right? do you want to go together? i live right by hynes.....i think i'd prefer saturday (since they say you shouldn't tire your legs out standing all day on sunday)....but honestly i'll go whenever. also, anyone interested in meeting up to watch the women's olympic marathon qualifier - i think it's being held on sunday.
oh...so much fun, exciting stuff to do that weekend! (and looking forward to catching up with you both!)

ps - lauren, pending any major aches, pains, migraines, etc., i'd be down for meeting up that night to celebrate.

Nodine said...

Hey! So my plans for the weekend include getting into town on Friday afternoon, going to the expo around 3 or 4, and then heading up to Maine to see my family, who I haven't seen in a while. I want to watch the women's trials but I don't see it happening! I'll be in Maine until Sunday, when I'll somehow get back to Boston and make my way to Jenn's futon. I don't know what time I'll get to Boston,but it's flexible...is anyone interested in having pre-race pasta the night before?

I'm not sure about going out after the marathon, because my family will be in town to watch me so I'm obliged to have dinner with them. I'll see what my plans look like. We should still find a place to meet after the race, though, just to have some friendly faces and talk about the race. And I will have to go to Jenn's anyway to get my stuff.